Saturday, May 9, 2009


Friday, May 08, 2009

Up early this morning (6:00 am). Not necessarily our choice but the dogs think it is their job to awaken everyone. The city starts to wake up about 6:30. Quito has about 2 million people in it. They are sandwiched in a valley in the Andes Mountains, so the city is about 4 miles wide and 35 miles long.

We are about 6 blocks from the HCJB headquarters so we walked there this morning to prepare for the filter training with 3 staff from HCJB, 1 staff from Samaritans Purse and 2 Quechua Indians who are in charge of the development of 3 villages in the mountains. We have had to wash all of the sand which is a time consuming task as we only have one hose and 6 small containers in which to wash it. The kids are getting pretty good at it although they do get distracted and start making sand castles in the containers after 3 or 4 washings.

All morning was spent washing the sand and then Eric instructed the participants on the ‘biology’ of the filter while I worked with the kids on their homework in the shade.

The day is beautiful right now – sunny and 75-80* with a little breeze but we can see the clouds starting to build up over Pichincha Volcano. It will probably downpour in the next 3 hours or so.

Apparently I don’t know anything – it did not rain. It is now 5:30 and we are waiting for our supervisor to pick us up for a tour of “old town” Quito. After 8 hours – 2 filters were built – much different than in Mexico. We underestimated the amount of sand and gravel washing necessary to prevent filter clogging. Makes us again realize how blessed we are to turn on a faucet and have clean water come out.

Eric was able to have lunch with the participants – he ate liver soup and cow tongue – good thing I took the kids back to the apartment for PB & J. I think they would revolt if they knew about his lunch!

The rest of the day was spent cleaning up and adjusting the filters to flow properly. I am glad we made a few samples before working in the communities.

We all retuned to the apartment, cleaned up and Bruce came by at 6:00 to take us into town. We rode the trolley system. What an experience. The trolley cost .25 cents per adult, 12 cents per kid. The trolley was a double long model with a bellow hinge in the center. The trolley was so packed with people you could barely move. The kids were exposed to more of the big city life than they wanted. On the way to town, Bruce had his wallet stolen and that put a damper on the trip. Looking back we could identify who did it as the guy came out of nowhere and rushed off the trolley. The trolley only stayed at each stop about 15 seconds and then departed, so he got away. Not much money in it, but high frustration factor. This will delay our departure to Shell by one day as Bruce no longer has a driver’s license and needs to get another one.

We got off at the “big plaza” stop and walked around the old city. The governor’s palace, the Roman Catholic arch-bishop and the high government officials are there. We walked around and saw several very old churches, and stopped to eat. Food is very reasonable here. You can get a nice meal for $2.00 - $4.00 per plate. Very few of the low cost restaurants offer a menu choice. Just sit and eat.

The center we ate at had local dancers performing folk dances. We watched them for awhile and really enjoyed it. Turns out that people here were just above slaves – more like permanent servants without land or rights until 1964. Lots of history around here, they are working on their 500th anniversary and 800 years of Spanish influence.

The ride home on the trolley was not as eventful, but the trolley was over packed with people. We tried to get a picture of the door attempting to close because of the people in the way, but just missed it. It’s not like there were not enough trolleys, one came by the station about every minute or less – just lots and lots of people. Sunshine did have someone reach into her pocket to try to grab something, but she was not carrying anything in it. Big city life I guess.

We walked back to our apartment, the walk was nice, weather stunning. We are going to the hot springs tomorrow in the morning and we are going to Martin and Ruth Harrison’s for dinner (they are from England) and spending the evening with them.

Overall – a nice day, learned much about washing sand and filters today, nice evening and tired.

Thank you for praying for us,


1 comment:

  1. Miss KayMay 09, 2009

    I give thanks to God for your faithfulness in following this step in your journey for Him. As you continue through your first week remember that the gospel did not come to you in word only, but also in power, and in the Holy Spirit and in much assurance (I Thess 1:5). May you feel His strength, peace, and direction this week as you harness the Holy Spirit's power every day. Love you!


Please leave us a comment so that we know you were here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright 2008-2013 Eric and Renee Fogg.
All rights reserved.